___________________________

___________________________
The Love that Surrounds Me 1 & 2. Diptych 36" x 36" ea

Wednesday, June 18, 2008

How to Avoid Making Art

"How to Avoid making Art (or Anything Else You Enjoy)" by Julia Cameron, Illustrated by Elizabeth Cameron

Today I woke up early and went to my business networking group "VBN" (bad coffee), so I went home, made a yummy cup of coffee and headed out to Surrey to pick up my Jiu Jitzu uniform (gi). I figure I can't go there anymore in a pink t-shirt and brown pants.

When I got back to Abbotsford, I walked over to my studio. I started to finish a project that I simply MUST complete (it's nice to get paid). A few paint brush strokes were made but then I started fidgeting and my mind began wondering. There's just not that much left to do, but boy can I find excuses to do other things.

In my first successful attempt today to avoid making art, I flipped through Julia Cameron's book and this comic seemed to fit the bill pretty good:




Then the studio started getting kind of warm and uncomfortable. I guess I could open the windows... yes, yes... that could take up some time. Besides, the morning light has already moved and changed:



Ok. Windows opened, fresh air... A few more brush strokes on said painting, but boy what a mess in here! It is amazing what I can collect and keep 'just in case'.

Now I'm at home writing my blog.
Later I'm having coffee with my new [AWESOME] artist friend, April Solomon . I guess we'll do some more talking about art tonight.

And that's just what kind of day it's been.




2 comments:

Ms.Barbara Jane said...

Haha, that reminds me of that animated short called "getting started" with the guy avoiding piano practice.

CHRISSANDRA UNGER said...

I remember that one! :)